Moving our equipment (diversionary works)

It is sometimes necessary for our customers to request that we move our assets, for example to make way for new development or to reduce the possibility of contact with, or damage to, existing cables and equipment.

What types of diversion works do you provide?

We will carry out any necessary works to divert our assets upon request, including:

  • Diversion of assets, including substations, underground cables, poles and overhead cables, in private land
  • Diversion of assets within the highway and subject to the terms of the New Roads and Street Works Act (NRSWA)

What information do I need to provide to request a diversion?

We will require as a minimum:

  • Your contact details
  • The site address
  • The MPAN number
  • A Site Layout Plan – this should include the location of the existing assets to be diverted and your preferred new location

Will I have to pay for diversion works?

Yes, we will provide you with an estimate of the cost for diverting our assets. Upon completion of the works, we will undertake an assessment of the costs incurred and you may receive a partial refund or an additional invoice. Where additional charges are likely to be incurred, we will keep you informed throughout the delivery of the works.

What will I need to pay for?

Your connection offer will reflect the cost of the works required to divert our assets to the new location and will take account of;

  • the type of surface to be excavated and reinstated by our teams in the highway or third party land, e.g. road, tarmac footpath, block paving, turf;
  • the length of the new proposed route;
  • whether or not we need to obtain legal permissions and consents;
  • known traffic management costs such as temporary traffic lights and road closures.

What happens when I have submitted an application?

When we receive your application we will make an assessment of the works required and associated costs and send you a diversion offer. These are valid for 90 days after which you will need to re-apply.

How long will it take to complete the works?

The time taken will depend on the size of the diversion, whether we need to obtain legals and consents and any timescales applicable for works in the highway.

In addition, we may need to turn off supplies to other customers on our network whilst the works are carried out. We have an obligation to make sure that sufficient notice is given to these customers and these notice periods will also impact on agreed dates.

What will happen to the existing assets?

Any assets above the ground, such as poles and overhead lines, will be removed from site and disposed of by us.

Cables which are underground are usually left in the ground after the new cables are energised to avoid unnecessary cost and environmental impact. The cables will be identified as dead at the points of diversion and we will provide a plan to confirm this.

How do I apply?

  • Should you require us to divert assets, you will need to contact us provide the required information.