Changing your electricity load

The Maximum Import Capacity (MIC) (and Maximum Export Capacity (MEC) where applicable) is measured in kVA. Both are values agreed between you and us for the load of your connection and where applicable will be stated within your Connection Agreement. They may also be included in your electricity supply contract with your chosen supplier.

If you are planning to install or remove equipment that may affect your load requirements or connecting additional equipment such as motor or welders that may adversely affect the voltage.

What information is required to request an amendment to my load?

We require the following information from you to enable us to assess and facilitate the request.

  • Your MPAN number(s) – this can be found on your supply bill and is sometimes referred to as an SPAN number. It may appear like this on your supply bill;

MPAN number example

The MPAN number is the 13 digit number along the bottom line.

  • Company Registration Number and address (if applicable)
  • The site address
  • Contact details
  • Existing capacity
  • Proposed capacity
  • A completed application form (for increases only)

Is there anything I should consider before amending my load?

When considering a decrease in load please be aware that we are unable to guarantee the future availability of any relinquished capacity as it may be required by other Customers in the area looking to connect to the network or increase their load.

The MIC will be fixed for 12months from the date of reduction and cannot be reduced again in this time. Increases to MIC within the 12 month period are permitted (subject to availability).

Increases to load may incur a charge in accordance with our published Connection Charging Methodology statements for any reinforcement works carried out on the Distribution System.

Who do I contact to request a decrease in load?

The required information can be emailed to one of the following;

For Midlands (MPANS beginning with 11 or 14) [email protected]

For South West & South Wales (MPANS beginning with 22 or 21) [email protected]

How do I request a load increase?

The required information and a completed application form can be emailed or posted to one of the following;

For Midlands (MPANS beginning with 11 or 14)
[email protected]
Western Power Distribution, Records Team, 3rd Floor, Toll End Rod, Tipton, DY4 0HH

For South Wales (MPANS beginning with 21)
[email protected]
Western Power Distribution, Records Team, Phoenix Way, Llansamlet, Swansea, SA7 9HW

For South West (MPANS beginning with 22)
[email protected]
Western Power Distribution, Records Team, Lostwithiel Road, Bodmin, PL31 1DE

Alternatively you can apply for a load increase online.

What happens next?

Once a request has been received we will assess the proposed requirements. For increases we will advise whether the additional capacity is available or if we need to carry out works on your connection and/or the network.

When we agree to the proposal we will issue a Connection Agreement for you to sign and return which will reflect your new load capacity.